Dozy Rosie

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

El Salvador Memories

Several things have happened recently that reminded me of my trip to El Salvador earlier this year...

A couple of weeks ago I received some very exciting post; the children at the school I helped to build sent me lots of pictures and thank you letters. They were very sweet (I have to admit to struggling to understand most of them - but I did get the general gist). Keep meaning to reply to them, which will involve attempting to bring back some of that Spanish that's disappeared into the back of my brain. I did manage a reasonable Spanish msn conversation with serve (Salvadoran friend) today.

Tengo un carro nuevo :) (Although strictly speaking, I suppose es un carro antiguo)

I've had an e-mail from the man who worked for Plan - the organisation responsible for the new classroom project - with photos of the finished school. I was sad to have to leave El Salvador when the building wasn't quite finished, so it was good to see it complete:



There was a program on BBC 2 yesterday about El Salvador. Included lots of places I recognised, & the accents of the people also brought back some fond memories. Was glad that I hadn't seen it before I went - started with something along the lines of 'El Salvador is the most dangerous country in Central America, 1 in 3 residents have been the victim of violent (usually gun) crime'. It's true that the country has a lot of problems, but I did feel the program portrayed an unfair bias of the bad stuff vs the good. It did do well at showing the USA probably has a lot to account for!

Finally, Toph pointed me in the direction of a blog he'd come across randomly of someone in Central America at the moment, who'd been writing about some of the places I went to when I visited Guatemala.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:26 pm, Blogger Sarah S said…

    I am impressed that you managed an msn conversation in Spanish...don't think I would be able to do that. I keep meaning to enrole on a Spanish course, but as with most things haven't got round to it. Mind you I think I am best settling into my job before starting evening classes. In the mean time we should definitely try to go somewhere Spanish speaking some time next year, that would be more fun than lessons anyway!

    Hasta luego amigo!

     
  • At 5:33 pm, Blogger Sarah S said…

    lo siento, amiga!

     
  • At 4:24 pm, Blogger Dozy Rosie said…

    Yes, I'd like to do a Spanish course as well. Should have started one in September really I suppose, but keep living in hope that at some point in the not too distant future I'll be moving away for a new job so it's not worth starting.

    The msn conversation's not that impressive - usually I don't get much futher than 'hola, como estas' before giving up & typing English!

     
  • At 5:58 pm, Blogger Sarah S said…

    You will be moving away soon and then you can sign up to do a Spanish course in which ever city you end up in, and you can meet lots of nice people!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home